Monday, June 13, 2011

How I Uncovered the Secret Behind the Veil



Caution: Some blanket statements.

Americans, Westerners alike are enthralled with, bewildered by, and abhorred at Middle Eastern Muslim women's conservative dress. Why would someone ever want to cover their hair, face, entire body from sight? From daylight even?

Westerners argue that women lose identity, lose the freedom of expression by being (indirectly) forced into wearing what has become a cultural icon, synonymous (to Westerners) with the oppression of women and simultaneous death to any entertainment of sensual thoughts - the veil, hijab, or one of its various names.

Quick interjection: I don't actually have anything against a veil or hijab, I sometimes even prefer to wear it in Oman. We'll save that explanation for a rainy day.

I think what really gets us is the mystery behind the veil. Americans love transparency, openness, and information. A veil represents, or even acts as, the polar opposite. We think that behind the veil a Muslim woman might have something to hide. We're curious - what does her hair really look like? Does she have a pretty smile? Her hair must be very thick, long, and luscious to fill out that scarf! How does she eat when her mouth is covered?

Well, I can now answer one of those questions. In Oman, I have especially noticed the size of women's heads underneath the hijab. The hijabs here are intricately decorated and so, so beautiful; I would almost call some of them a headdress. The proportion of the head and (assumed) bun underneath are grand compared to the petite women under the cloak. It makes for a very feminine silhouette.

Back to the bun. All along, I have just (in my head) been thinking, 'the women just must have really thick, big hair -- kind of like Texans'. Completely normal comparison, especially after admiring Kalee Bodey's hair for three years now. I mean, their hair must be shampoo-commercial gorgeous underneath there. I picture the Lebanese movie stars, or Egyptian pop singers.

Well, today I unveiled one of the best kept secrets of the Muslim world. The sky-high crown is not actually their own! Like the God-forsaken Americans that ordered "Bump Its," Muslim women attach a hair piece, much like a bath loofa, to their buns, and then wrap their heads, creating the headdress.





....And I thought we were high maintenance.

As a wise man, Damian from Mean Girls, once said:
"That's why her hair is so big, it's full of secrets!"

More secrets to come, Insha'Allah.






No comments:

Post a Comment